Provider Background Checks and References
Choosing someone qualified to care for your child is an important task. We recommend you do a few simple checks on your provider before placing your child in care:
TALK TO OTHER PARENTS USING THE PROVIDER. Find out if they are happy with the care their child receives. Have there been any health and safety incidences with their child’s care? Do they like the staff? Is their child happy?
CONTACT CHILD CARE LICENSING. In Nevada, the Department of Health and Human Services, Division of Public and Behavioral Health is responsible for Child Care Licensing. In Southern Nevada, the Licensing unit can be reached at:
Department of Health and Human Services,
Division of Public and Behavioral Health
4180 South Pecos Road, Suite 150
Las Vegas, NV 89121
Phone: (702) 486-3822
Fax: (702) 486-6660
Questions to ask include:
- Have there been any complaints or negative action against the provider? If yes, what was the nature of the complaint?
- How long has the provider been licensed?
- When were background checks last done?
- Have the training requirements been met by staff this year?
- How many children can the provider have in its care at one time?
- Is there anything else you can tell me about the provider?
Paying for child care can be difficult for many families. There are several programs that may be able to make child care more affordable for families with low income.